Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Lost Chapters

December 2008 is when my life had a new beginning and I traveled to South Korea for the first time, since I left there to be adopted in USA at the age of 18 months.  I was there with 40 other Korean adoptees from around the world, who each had their own stories.  Without their support and friendships, I probably wouldn't be here today sharing my story.  




Below you can find the story I wrote about my adoption, which was selected to be published in this book, "More Voices: A Collection of Works from Asian Adoptees." edited by Susan Soon-Keum Cox. Published April 2011.  

*I added some pictures just for this blog post that were not published in the book.




Click here to read this story in Korean/한국어.


My Lost Chapters
Written by Cheryl S. Hagen

My parents, three sisters and one brother remember the day I arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii as if it happened yesterday.  Initially, they had asked for a boy; and even after learning I was a girl, they proceeded with my adoption as planned because they already loved me as their own.   During the car ride home, I tried to wipe the dirt off my sister’s face but, the dirt would not come off because they were in actual fact, freckles!  At the age of eighteen months, I began my new life as Cheryl Sun Wha Joy, with “Sun Wha” being the only part of Korea to remain with me. 

My adoption picture.

My soon to be new family. 


Being raised in an LDS family, I learned that families can live together forever and often found myself thinking about my birth family and wondering if I’d ever be reunited with them again.  I’d try to imagine why they chose to give me away and how difficult it must have been to make that decision.  I never felt resentment but still held these questions throughout my life. 


At the LDS (Mormon) Temple in Seoul.

It was when we left the more diverse state of Hawaii for Utah and then Michigan when it started to become difficult.  I was teased about looking different and I never really fit in with the other children, and I felt like I was in a maze trying to find the right path to feeling complete.

As a young lady, I chose to get married instead of serving an LDS mission.  My husband of the same faith is Norwegian and we live in Norway with our son and two daughters.  Being a stay-at-home mother has always my first priority; and as I watched my children blossom, I kept wondering if they shared similarities with my birth family.  After my mother passed away I thought about them even more, especially my birth mother, and wanted to begin my search.  I wanted to learn my heritage so I could pass it down to my children.  I did not know how to begin and it seemed hopeless because I had no information regarding my adoption. 

While browsing for information regarding birth family search on the internet, I found a website where forty Korean adoptees would be selected to travel to their “motherland” for the first time, and birth family search would be the main focus.  I would be able to experience Seoul with forty other Korean adoptees from all over the world--adoptees who share similar lives and thoughts as myself.  After pondering the idea for a few days I decided to apply and ended up being one of the forty participants selected for the trip.  My eyes filled with tears of joy because my lifetime wish was about to come true.  Perhaps this would be the chance to learn about my adoption and maybe reunite with my birth family. 

At the Oslo airport it was hard to leave my family behind, but I had their support.  On the flight to Seoul I still couldn’t believe what was happening and I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. 

On the morning of my birthday, the other adoptees gathered for our meeting and sang Happy Birthday to me.  Later that day, we had the opportunity to visit the orphanage where we stayed before being adopted and had the chance to review our adoption files.  My agency was Eastern Social Welfare Society and to my surprise they had a birthday cake and also sang Happy Birthday to me.  I was speechless both times, but deep down I had a feeling that it wasn’t my actual birth date even though the records indicated that it was correct.


 Singing Happy Birthday to me at Eastern Social Welfare Society 


We also worked with the Korean media to get our stories out to the public.  The night before the live program was to be broadcast I knelt down in humble prayer to ask God to help me find my family by having them watch the program.  My prayer was heard.

For the twenty seconds I was featured on a live KBS television program my birth father recognized me.  However, because his story conflicted with mine I was not informed until after I returned home.  I wasn’t home for 24 hours and still jetlagged when I received a phone call from KBS informing me about my birth father.  I also received an email from ESWS that confirmed the same news.  With the excitement of my trip still fresh, I never had the chance to let it all sink in when more mixed emotions flooded over me. 

Since it was the holiday season I considered this to be the best Christmas present ever--just to know that a part of me was alive and missing me in Korea.  The three week waiting period until our DNA results were confirmed seemed like an eternity as thoughts and questions kept entering my mind and I was getting anxious. 

Our reunion took place via webcam between Seoul and my home in Norway.  I met my birth father, aunt and cousins.  My father cried intensely and kept saying in Korean that he was sorry and regretted letting me go.  Tears flowed down my cheeks and wished I could give him a hug.  My cousin pointed out that I was quiet just like my father.  During our phone meeting most of the questions I had were answered.  But I still wondered about my birth mother and why my father didn’t wish to share information that could lead me to finding her.  

My birth mother left my father and divorced him soon after I was born. The divorce tore him apart and he turned to alcohol for comfort.  At the time, he was living with my grandmother and it was she who took care of me because my father was not well enough to care for an infant.   When I was eleven months old my grandmother did what she thought was best for me and took me to the nearest orphanage with only my name and birth date on a piece of paper.  Later, she regretted this and tried to find me but didn’t have any luck and was told I had already been adopted.  I was actually placed at another orphanage and was under the care of my foster mother.   It was my grandmother’s wish to find me before she passed away--but that did not happen and she died a few years ago. 

I learned from my birth father that my Korean name is really Sun Han and my birth date is ten days earlier than my records indicated.  I was filled with even more mixed emotions as I wondered what my grandmother’s intentions were and why my father never gave a straight answer.

My naturalization papers, marriage certificate, and passport, among other official documents, now contained incorrect information about me.  My American family knows me as Sun Wha, but to my Korean family I am Sun Han.  The same differences applied with my birth date and I was confused about which day to celebrate.  I felt caught in the middle but decided to leave things as they have been.  After all, changing a document doesn’t change who I am on the inside. 

I arranged to spend some time with my Korean family and went there alone while my husband and children stayed behind once again.  A translator was there to meet me at the airport along with my birth father.  My father was in tears just as he was during our webcam reunion and he held my hand as we sat in the back seat of the translator’s car.  We had our first meal together and later my cousin joined us and we took a two hour bus ride to my aunt’s home.  At that time, we had no translator and with the language barrier, it was a challenge communicating even simple thoughts with each other. 




First picture with birth father and just off the plane.

 Aunt/이모, Cousin/고종, Myself, Father/아버지 

Cousin/사촌


To my surprise, my birth mother was located and I was able to meet her in my birth father’s apartment.  With a translator present, I was able to ask her some questions.  Just before we dropped my mother off at the bus station, we visited the location of where she gave birth to me.  The house had been replaced with a paved road, and as the three of us stood there, I noticed that both my mother and father were in tears just as I was.  

This second trip to Korea was different from my first one because I was able to experience traditions of living in a Korean home.  Whereas my first trip, we stayed in a high class hotel within the big city of Seoul and was individually catered according to our needs.

For the most part, everyone treated me with kindness and I enjoyed spending time with my family.  However, the morning I was about to leave to stay with my mother, my father turned into a different person and he tried to prevent me from leaving that day.  His temper flared and he ruined the gifts that I had given him.  I was terrified of him and cried during the two hour bus ride thinking he was a harmful man and forgetting all that was pleasant about him.  The love and trust we had built during our previous days together suddenly diminished and my last impression of him was “who is this man?”  

When it was just my mother and I together, she showed me pictures of herself when she was younger and I showed her pictures of my family.  Later that evening we exchanged gifts and I met more family members, including my half brother.  My cousin translated as my mother told me more of her side of the story.

Shortly after I was born, my mother left my father and filed for a divorce because of his bad temper and alcohol problems.  Remembering how I had just parted with him I could understand this.  It was a difficult choice for her because she was also leaving me behind.   Back then the fathers automatically gained custody of the child since he was the main provider of the household and the mothers didn’t have any rights.  When my mother found a secure place to live she contacted my father to ask how I was doing.  My father informed her that I was dead, but deep down she believed I was still alive.  My heart almost stopped when I heard this.

My grandmother came and sat next to me and spoke a few words face to face.  I did not understand her, but she looked at me, touching my face as I looked at hers.  Wondering if we shared the same thoughts, it seemed that I was looking at a mirror image of myself, only older.  That night I slept with my mother on her heated marble bed with her hand holding mine until we drifted off to sleep.  It was a moment that I wished would last forever.


Mother/어머니, brother/동생

 Aunt/이모, Grandmother/할머니 and Mother/어머니.

Cousin/사촌.

The next day at the airport I could not help the tears from flowing down my cheeks.  After we said our farewells, I remember the last image of my family with smiles.   I still keep in touch with my mother and even my father.  Even though there were doors opened that weren’t expected, I’m happy that I chose to follow this path and to have this chapter in my family history complete.  
----------


These pictures and short bio can be seen in the back of the book.



Cheryl S. Hagen is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and enjoys spending time with her family.  When she isn’t practicing percussion or clarinet, she volunteers for various organizations in her community.  She currently attends a private school in Oslo, Norway to learn Korean and she can’t seem to get enough of kimchi. 

------------
BELOW IS NOT IN THE BOOK

THESE ARE THE PROGRAMS WE WERE A PART OF


KBS documentary:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0F2T-AerNI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whVb8sP9xLM
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PygiwCTR7Ew
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AszthKQ1t-I
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHj1-gvEsc
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-bMZ3ja9LY

Live KBS program:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atf37AGCBcc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmhvknV2Wu4
**Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfPK-MdktA 
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_B2j6whBc 
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZyeY_IIX00
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDZ5eJ52IQ
This is the documentary that was made from our tour/trip.
**Around the 4:00 mark in part 3 is where you can see me and the 20 seconds that changed my life forever. 





6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the bloggerworld :)

    Great first post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story Cheryl! Very proud to know you. Sending you love from MI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! Hope you have a Merry Christmas! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog. :-)